Troubleshooting and log files
If you visit this page, you probably have difficulties using alfaview. The following sections are intended to help you solve problems yourself or describe your concerns to us.
- Use a headset to reduce feedback and background noise.
- Select your headset’s microphone and speaker in Settings.
- Adjust the voice activation level to your microphone.
- If possible, use a network cable or optimize WiFi reception.
- Place your camera approximately at eye level and an arm’s length away.
- Make sure the lighting conditions are pleasant and try to position yourself in the center of the camera image.
I registered a customer account but did not receive a confirmation email.
- Check the spam / junk folder of your email program.
- Have you entered your email address correctly? If in doubt, perform the registration again.
- If you still do not receive a confirmation email, contact our support.
I forgot my password.
- Please use the password forgotten function at alfaview.com/password/reset and follow the instructions.
I sent a guest link, but the invitation email did not arrive.
- Make sure the recipients email address is correct.
- Ask the guest to check the spam/junk folder in the email program.
- Resend the invitation.
I received a guest link, but the alfaview app does not start.
- Have you installed the alfaview app? Depending on your used device click on one of the following links: Installation on Windows, Installation on Mac or Installation on Linux and Mobile.
- See section Internet connection and network.
I received a guest link, but the invitation link is invalid.
- The validity of the guest link has expired. Please ask the sender to extend the link.
I received a guest link, but the website says the link is invalid.
- The guest link has expired. Ask the sender to renew the link.
The installation does not start.
- Under Microsoft Windows you need a 64-bit version of the operating system. Check your system under Control Panel > System > About > Device Specifications > System Type. The alfaview app can only be installed on a 64-bit operating system.
- On Apple macOS, the installation is carried out by dragging the alfaview icon onto the Applications directory. See Installation on MAC.
- Is the alfaview app already running in the background?
- Is the installation dialog already running in the background?
The alfaview app starts, but the room list is empty.
- You might not have access to any rooms yet. Contact a user with room management permission in order to get access to a room.
- IIf you have any problems with the room management, contact our support.
I cannot activate my microphone.
- See section Internet connection and network
- If your microphone has been deactivated by the moderator, use the chat function to draw attention.
I can’t hear the other participants.
- Are the other participants muted? Right-click on a participant video and check whether Mute for me is activated.
- Is the operating system volume set correctly?
- Is the volume in the alfaview app under Settings > Audio > Speaker volume set correctly?
- Check the volume per application in Microsoft Windows in the volume mixer. To do this, start the Run dialog (key combination WIN + r), enter “sndvol” and confirm with “OK”. Adjust the volume in the volume mixer and make sure that the alfaview app is not muted.
- Check the sound settings for communications activity under Microsoft Windows. To do this, start the Run dialog (key combination WIN + r), enter “mmsys.cpl” and confirm with “OK”. In the “Communication” tab, set the setting to “Do nothing”.
The other participants cannot hear me.
- Is the microphone activated in the main menu?
- Is the correct microphone selected in the alfaview app under Settings > Audio > Microphone?
- Also check the value in the alfaview app under Settings > Audio > Voice activation level.
- Is the microphone muted on your headset?
- To rule out a hardware issue: Does the microphone work in other applications?
- Does the operating system or any security software block the use of the microphone?
- Is your microphone in use by another program?
I don’t see my own video.
- Is the camera connected correctly?
- Is the camera listed and selected in the alfaview app under Settings > Video > Camera?
- Is the camera lens covered?
- To rule out a hardware issue: Does the camera work in other applications?
- Does the operating system or any security software block the use of the camera?
- Is your camera in use by another program?
I don’t see the other participants.
- Is the break mode deactivated in the main menu?
- Are the other participants in a breakout group?
It takes a long time to start the alfaview app.
The connection to the conference room keeps dropping.
The alfaview app starts, but an error message appears.
- Does the internet connection work?
- Do you use WiFi? If possible, use a wired network connection.
- Are the network requirements met?
- Especially in corporate networks: Ask your IT department whether the alfaview app or alfaview traffic is approved on the network.
- In some cases using a guest network can help.
- If a proxy is used, check the Proxy configuration
- Check whether an active VPN connection prevents the connection from being established. Disconnect the VPN connection and check again.
- If security or virus software reports alfaview as harmful, add a corresponding exception.
If the solutions listed do not remedy the problem, restart the alfaview app. Restarting your computer can also help to resolve certain issues.
The following information helps us to process:
- Your contact details
- A precise description of the problem
- Information on computer and operating system
- Log files (see section Log files)
The alfaview app logs technical information and events in log files on your computer.
- The log files are only accessible to you.
- The log files are only meant to be used in case of technical support.
- No communication content is logged.
- These are pure text files.
- There is no access log files with mobile devices.
The log files can be found in the alfaview app at:
Settings > Help > Technical support >
This opens the directory in which alfaview stores log files. Send us the latest file in order to help the technical support resolve the issue.
Activate the Debug logging option to generate more detailed log files for technical support.
Last updated on December 1st, 2023, 07:36 am